Porto accused of match fixing in CL winning season!

Viewing forum thread.
Back to Sport Chat.
Back to Forum List.

Deleted User
(IP Logged)
12:44 Tue 1 Apr 08 (BST)  [Link]  
BBC Sport said:
Portuguese champions FC Porto have been formally accused of fixing two domestic fixtures in the 2003-04 season.

The games in question, against Estrela da Amadora and Beira Mar, came in the same year ex-Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho led Porto to Champions League glory.

"We've been notified by the Portuguese league (LPFP) of the accusations and investigations," said a club statement.

The club have been given five days by the LPFP to submit a written response to the allegations.

Porto beat Estrela da Amadora 2-0, while the match at Beira ended in a goalless draw.

Apparently it involves bribing referees. It confuses me a bit though. Take the game against Estrela (the Portuguese equivalent of Derby)... The previous week they beat 4th place Braga 3-0 away from home... they're also top and unbeaten after 18 games... then they bribe the ref in a home game against a nobody... why???

Are the allegations false, or could Porto really be that stupid?
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
14:31 Tue 1 Apr 08 (BST)  [Link]  
i hope it is true and they get slaughtered!!
they cheated us out us out the final in 2003!!
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
22:24 Tue 1 Apr 08 (BST)  [Link]  
Haha. To be honest, I'd be a bit surprised if it was true.

High profile april fool maybe?

Afterall, it did all come out on 1st april... and the English equivalent of what Porto supposedly did would be Manchester United bribing the ref before their game against Derby at Old Trafford.

Either it's a hoax, or Jorge Pinto da Costa will be receiving the 'dumbest man on earth' award soon.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
07:02 Wed 2 Apr 08 (BST)  [Link]  
Not a story to get your knickers in a twist i think! I mean the CL winnning season or that before it has nothing to do with this story...its a domestic scandal....if its even true!
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
10:03 Wed 2 Apr 08 (BST)  [Link]  
Meh, it's only porto, Diego Maradonna admitted he cheated in the final all those years ago, what happened to him?

Deleted User
(IP Logged)
13:48 Wed 2 Apr 08 (BST)  [Link]  
mr_mcquiston said:
Meh, it's only porto, Diego Maradonna admitted he cheated in the final all those years ago, what happened to him?

but it wasnt asif he could deny it it was pretty obv!! and plus it was only against england no biggie!!
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
13:53 Wed 2 Apr 08 (BST)  [Link]  
You'd have lost anyway!
Unable to post
Reason:You must log in before you can post

Porto accused of match fixing in CL winning season!

Back to Top of this Page
Back to Sport Chat.
Back to Forum List.