Clazaghe demolishes Jones

Viewing forum thread.
Back to Sport Chat.
Back to Forum List.

Deleted User
(IP Logged)
02:54 Sun 9 Nov 08 (GMT)  [Link]  
Hers is the article on it http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/7714516.stm

Surely Calzaghe has now earned legend status in the world of boxing, he didn't just beat him, he abliterated him and is now the best pound for pund boxer out there. All judges scored it 118-109 in Calzaghe favour after he was floored in the first round. Amazing.

"Yes, I was hurt, he caught me with a good shot. But that's what being a champion is all about - when you're put down on the floor, you come back stronger,"

I really hope he retires now

Poop I spelt his name wrong *Slaps head*

Edited at 09:00 Sun 9/11/08 (GMT)
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
03:47 Sun 9 Nov 08 (GMT)  [Link]  
I agree he should hang up his gloves while he's on top
keoghz
keoghz
03:59 Sun 9 Nov 08 (GMT)  [Link]  
He more than likely will retire, but he's a fighter he'd more than likely come back out of retirement as you see with the like of, Frazer,Tyson,foreman, id like to see him keep fighting...
canamir
canamir
05:57 Sun 9 Nov 08 (GMT)  [Link]  
If Calzaghe thinks he is strong and fit enough to fight again i think he should.
On Setanta Sports this morning, they were saying he is likely to box B Hopkins again!
Not sure if this is the right move to be honest.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
09:29 Sun 9 Nov 08 (GMT)  [Link]  
it was awesome to watch, but why didnt the ref stop it for the cut, it was terrible.

and i wouldnt say joes now the best pound for pound boxer out there, its still probably pacman
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
14:22 Sun 9 Nov 08 (GMT)  [Link]  
Haven't actually watched the fight yet as I've been so busy, but from what I've read it was impressive.

He's a credit to his country and a great champion. Hope he does a Lewis and quits on top!

Well done Joe!

Shows why Jones Jnr dodged him all those years ago, at least he has the excuse that he is 'past his best' in which case he should think about quitting! Calzaghe showed his talent when he destroyed the only two real contenders in his last few fights before going to the USA!
kirk_89
kirk_89
05:04 Wed 12 Nov 08 (GMT)  [Link]  
sorry pacman is not the best pound for pound fighter, he has a great heart and i cant say a bad thing bout him but clearly calzaghe is the best, he has won the best young and old and still remains undefeated, champion for over 11 years and i could go on.
walker666
walker666
06:22 Wed 12 Nov 08 (GMT)  [Link]  
Calzaghe is an absolute legend, been following him since the first Veit fight which got me into boxing. I reckon Hopkins is probably better than Pacman pound 4 pound too, way more difficult to beat. Haven't got round to watch Calzaghe v Jones yet but I reckon the Jones that beat Clinton Woods a few years ago would have beaten anyone at that time including Joe. He is still good but a shell of that fighter now.

The Kessler fight was still the best, the greatest performance I've seen from a British boxer since Kessler is a monster as he will continue to prove. The thing that really makes me in awe of Calzaghe is how relaxed he is before and during fights, specially as to me he always looks the smaller man in the ring, with very little muscle definition.

He should definitely retire now as his record will go down in folklore. No one else to fight now, he's got nothing to prove to Bute, Froch or Dawson. Cheers
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
07:26 Tue 18 Nov 08 (GMT)  [Link]  
Watched the fight and thought Calzaghe was awful. He should of knocked out Jones by the 4th round! What was all this showing off about??? I've never seen him do that, why now? Should of got on with the job and knocked out a tired old man!

Fight should of been stopped, Jones cut was awful.......

Anyone watch David Haye? He's always exciting to watch, never know what's gonna happen!
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
11:25 Tue 18 Nov 08 (GMT)  [Link]  
haye was very impressive, hopefully it will signal a new direction for heavyweight boxing, rather than old flabby comunists
walker666
walker666
11:48 Tue 18 Nov 08 (GMT)  [Link]  
Still not seen the calzaghe fight, been away recently. Was watching the haye fight the other night and I must say barrett looked alot bigger than haye which is worrying if anyone saw the valuev-barrett fight. The first few knock down punches didn't look to hit the mark cleanly but the finish was very impressive. The highlight had to be when barrett fell into the ring though, classic television.

Haye could probably spark wladimir klitschko but maybe not vitali as he may be a bit too solid in the chin department.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
15:40 Tue 18 Nov 08 (GMT)  [Link]  
I'm always dubious when a boxer switches weights!

Fagin I really don't like your comments - they're very far from the truth of things; if you wish to post, post something which can be looked at as constructive critism and not something which may cause offence.

Vitali is something else, for a big man he's fast. He has an iron jaw too, however Haye does seem to have a massive punch - it would be interesting to say the least but I think Haye will have to fight a few more before either of them two surely?

Although I suppose Danny Williams did get a shot - and we all know what Haye would do to him!
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
02:19 Wed 19 Nov 08 (GMT)  [Link]  
hmmmm, i apologise if you feel that im a cummudgeon on sporting matters, but i dont feel that my opinions about the heavyweight divisions were unjustly negative, its a division thats weak in comparison to the lighter weights, and dominated by old and extremly heavy former soviet bloc fighters, valuev, povetkin, maskaev, liahkovic, all boxers who arnt a patch on haye and the 90s heavyweights in terms of athletism and genuine ability, rather than the dull poter and jab fights were currenttly being treated to. its got so bad that the next world heavyweight title fight, isnt in the mgm grand or madison square gardens, but the hallenstadion in zurich, hopefully haye can drag this division up to where it belongs

Edited at 08:20 Wed 19/11/08 (GMT)
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
11:47 Wed 19 Nov 08 (GMT)  [Link]  
That was a better post. And what I was asking for!

I share your sentiment to a point. Although I do believe that the reason heaveyweight boxing hasn't had enough media is because there are no American fighters worth a shot..........

Hatton is fighting again soon, new trainer in Mayweather Snr don't know if it's gonna make him or break him!?
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
04:41 Sun 23 Nov 08 (GMT)  [Link]  
Hatton can't be beat at that weight, what should he do now!??

Compete at a weight he's not very comfortable with or take on the last few in his catagory and retire!?

I would like to see him fight Del a Hoya and Mayweathern Jnr.............
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
08:53 Sun 23 Nov 08 (GMT)  [Link]  
while hatton makes no secret of the fact he wants to fight mayweather again i cant see it happening, if floyd does comeback i reckon he'll want to fight pacquiao, as hes already beat de la hoya and hatton, who i think will fight each other next year. ricky will definatley move up in weight again, timothy bradley isnt realy worth fighting at this stage of rickys career, he said last night hed "what sort of champ would i be if i just stayed in my comfort zone and didnt chase the great fighters" hopefully he will fight oscar, a fight i think he'll win.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
04:31 Sun 7 Dec 08 (GMT)  [Link]  
Froch caused an upset last night, proved he has a great chin too!

Last night was one of the best fights I've seen since 90s Benn, Eubank ect ect!

It was nice to sit there and not know who was gonna win, you could see both boxers really wanted to win!

Pascal can walk away with his head held high, he done well - but Froch just looked better when he boxed!!

Amir Khan won too, but I haven't seen that fight.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
07:22 Sun 7 Dec 08 (GMT)  [Link]  
Froch and Pascal

I was about too say almost exactly the same thing.

A BRILLIANT FIGHT

not pretty....but Brilliant, that makes it all the more so
cityfan84
cityfan84
07:23 Sun 7 Dec 08 (GMT)  [Link]  
1_eye said:

Amir Khan won too, but I haven't seen that fight.

He didn't do to bad, his defense was much improved not that he needed it much He put Fagan down twice in the first round and could have finished him if it wasn't for the bell.Didn't take long in the second round to finish him off, all in all a good performance by Khan.
Unable to post
Reason:You must log in before you can post

Clazaghe demolishes Jones

Back to Top of this Page
Back to Sport Chat.
Back to Forum List.