Which major European league has the best goalkeepers?

Viewing forum thread.
Back to Sport Chat.
Back to Forum List.

Deleted User
(IP Logged)
21:18 Mon 18 Feb 08 (GMT)  [Link]  
Thread title says it all...
Just for a bit of fun, which of the top 4 European leagues do you think has the best array of goalkeeping talent?

EPL?
Cech, van der Sar, Given, Reina, Jaaskelainen, Friedel...

La Liga?
Casillas, Hildebrand, Kameni... not much else (feel free to help me out with this one)

Serie A?
Buffon, Julio Cesar, Frey, Doni, Amelia...

Bundesliga?
Wiese, Adler, Neuer, Kahn, Wiedenfeller, Rensing, Enke, Rost...

My vote goes to the German Bundesliga for the strength throughout the division. They don't have any of the "top 3" keepers, but I'd say they do boast far more quality goalkeepers than the other top leagues.
I'm giving last place to La Liga, with the EPL and Serie A pretty much level (maybe EPL is slightly better). Too many turkeys in Spain for my liking.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
01:37 Tue 19 Feb 08 (GMT)  [Link]  
LMAO not much else? What a plum... Deary me lack of footballing knowledge.

Valdes, Ustari, Leo Franco, Palop, Viera, Ricardo, Sanchez, Aouate.

None of them are "turkeys" as you naively call them.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
01:45 Tue 19 Feb 08 (GMT)  [Link]  
lewis007 said:
Valdes, Ustari, Leo Franco, Palop, Viera, Ricardo, Sanchez, Aouate.

World's most overrated keeper, okish, don't make me laugh, yeah forgot about him, average, shut up, shut up, shut up.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
03:46 Tue 19 Feb 08 (GMT)  [Link]  
Lewis, have you ever seen athletico madrid play? Abbiati is about the biggest plumpest turkey about...
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
04:53 Tue 19 Feb 08 (GMT)  [Link]  
Did I mention Abbiati? Deary me, I didn't oh how ironic.

Schuldiner your a fool don't you dare judge 'keepers you have hardly ever seen. You've never even seen your own goalkeeper play live so don't start, every 'keeper I have mentioned there I have seen live numerous times. So I think well no actually I know all the 'keepers I have mentioned are not 'turkeys'... plank!

Edit - Yeah I am quite evidently passionate about this when your rubbishing my league when you probably only weatch a handful of games per year.

Edited at 10:57 Tue 19/02/08 (GMT)
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
09:30 Tue 19 Feb 08 (GMT)  [Link]  
Haha, calm down dear... seriously, it doesn't take a genius to work out that 'turkeys' comment was meant as a joke. Most of the keepers you named are decent, yes... but (except for Palop) they aren't quite at the same level as those in my first post (and yes, I have seen enough to be able to make that opinion).

You don't need to watch every Barca game to see that Valdes has good agility and is good shot stopper, but flaps at crosses, positions himself poorly, doesn't have much presence in the box, and is a bit prone to errors. He's the Spanish equivalent of Dida in many ways. Any improvement in his record this year can be put down to Barca's improved back 4.

This thread is about top keepers, not above average keepers.

And I'm not rubbishing your league. If you must know, I rate La Liga as the best league in the world at the moment. Even if I was taking the mick a bit, it's meant in a light hearted way. Come on mate, you know me better than that.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
09:40 Tue 19 Feb 08 (GMT)  [Link]  
lewis007 said:
Did I mention Abbiati? Deary me, I didn't oh how ironic.

We were talking about the league as a whole. Valdes can't catch a ball. Abbiati can't catch a ball. Casillas tries hard. Alas can't catch a ball. Its like watching a flock of seagulls all that flapping.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
10:06 Tue 19 Feb 08 (GMT)  [Link]  
schuldiner said:

And I'm not rubbishing your league. If you must know, I rate La Liga as the best league in the world at the moment. .

How can you say laliga is the best league in the world at the moment??? iff you look in the champions league, you will see who has the best league in the world...last year in the champions league there was 3 english teams in the semi-finals ..say no more
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
10:19 Tue 19 Feb 08 (GMT)  [Link]  
That was last year, Doesn't really matter what happens in the champions league really, It's about the quality of football played in the league, I mean playing clubs in that league, Not spanish clubs, Italian, German, French or any other clubs. Yes we did have 3 English clubs in the semi finals, But what club won it in the end?.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
10:20 Tue 19 Feb 08 (GMT)  [Link]  
Champions League only covers the top few teams from each league. The knockout stages are also a bit of a lottery sometimes. I'm talking about the quality throughout the entire league.

I do find the Prem more entertaining, but La Liga is definately a technically superior league.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
10:37 Tue 19 Feb 08 (GMT)  [Link]  
I must say I think the Premiership is marginally better than La Liga and I'd say the Premiership is the best league in the world, no surprise really with the amount of money Premiership teams get off TV revenue alone.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
20:27 Tue 19 Feb 08 (GMT)  [Link]  
Hmm... whichever league is best, it's marginal. I just like the technical ability in the middle of the park in La Liga to be honest.

Anyway, Germany still has the best keepers.
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
04:40 Wed 20 Feb 08 (GMT)  [Link]  
schuldiner said:
You don't need to watch every Barca game to see that Valdes has good agility and is good shot stopper, but flaps at crosses, positions himself poorly, doesn't have much presence in the box, and is a bit prone to errors.

That's just like Given, can do all the hard stuff but gets the basics wrong. It's frustrating when he can do some amazing things, but then the easy stuff he just can't get right.
hubb_0894
hubb_0894
01:36 Sun 2 Mar 08 (GMT)  [Link]  
premiership
Deleted User
(IP Logged)
21:41 Fri 28 Mar 08 (GMT)  [Link]  
arthur boruc is a world class keeper!
Unable to post
Reason:You must log in before you can post

Which major European league has the best goalkeepers?

Back to Top of this Page
Back to Sport Chat.
Back to Forum List.